Parents and supporters

We recognise that as parents, carers and supporters, you will want to be involved in the process of applying to Manchester, and will naturally be concerned for students’ welfare once they arrive.

Parents and supporters can be assured that we are just as concerned about your son or daughter’s well-being as we are about their academic studies and performance.

What to expect from the University

When your daughter or son discloses a condition to the University, either through UCAS or directly, the Disability Advisory and Support Service will begin contacting them about the steps they need to take to get the support that they need.

We will be guiding them through the process of getting support in place, giving them all the information, support and advice they need to make decisions and move forward.

If your daughter or son needs more information, they can contact us. We provide Quick Query appointments, or they can contact us by phone or email.

The Disability Advisory and Support Service cannot discuss your daughter or son’s individual support with you. You can, however, contact us if you would like general advice on the steps that they will need to take to get support in place.

Developing independence

Part of the student experience at Manchester involves developing independence as part of the transition into adulthood, and the Disability Advisory and Support Service aims to aid this development.

Managing new situations that are part of University life will help your daughter or son develop the skills that they need to take on responsibility for themselves through their studies and working lives.

What you can do

You can encourage your daughter or son to register with the Disability Advisory and Support Service and apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) and personal care support as early as possible. The paperwork can be complex, and they may need some help with this.

Encourage them to start thinking about the support they will need, taking into account what has happened at home, school and college in the past. They will be having an assessment to determine support, and this will help them to discuss their needs.

Work with your daughter or son to create a list of contacts that they can access when needed. This may include the Disability Advisory and Support Service, their School Disability Coordinator and Academic Adviser, as well as their GP and any other University support services they may need.

This article contains more useful tips and advice for helping with your son or daughter’s transition from home to University life.