University of Manchester - DSA QAG Accredited Assessment Centre

Needs Assessments can now be conducted either face to face, or by phone or video call, and can be arranged by calling 0161 275 0990, or emailing

Who are we?

We are the University of Manchester’s independent disability support assessment centre. We help eligible students to get support from the Disabled Students' Allowances. We do this through a process called a Study Needs Assessment.

What is a Study Needs Assessment?

It’s just a chat. Whilst the name can sound intimidating, it’s really just a structured conversation to find out what your needs are and what kind of support will suit you best.

It’s not a test and you're not there to prove your disability - Study Needs Assessments are only offered to people who have already been approved for funding. Our assessors are there as independent experts, using their skills and knowledge to advise you on the best options and to make recommendations to the funding body.

Your assessor will explain any appropriate equipment or software to you and you may be given a chance to try things out. They'll talk to you about 1:1 and travel support if that’s what you need. Their job is to help you find the right support for you and your needs.

I think I need an assessment - how do I get one?

First, you'll need to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances. If you're eligible, they will write to you and ask you to book a Study Needs Assessment. This is when you contact us.

The best way to arrange an appointment is to call us or come into our offices. Email is the least efficient way to book an assessment because availability can change quickly, but you can contact us this way if your disability makes it difficult for you to call or visit us.

Where can I have my appointment?

Our main centre is in University Place at The University of Manchester and we have outreach centres in:

It doesn't matter which University or College you're applying to, you can rely on our experienced staff, resources and facilities for expert advice and support no matter what your disability.

How long will it take?

At the moment, the waiting time for an appointment is ten working days. The maximum waiting time is fifteen working days.

Short notice/next-day appointments are sometimes available and we can offer home and off-site appointments if needed. We generally offer appointments within our office hours.

Study Needs Assessments normally take up to two hours, but each one is different, so it’s best to make sure that you allow plenty of time for your appointment.

How do I book an appointment?

The best way is to call us or come into our offices. It can be difficult to book appointments over email as availability can change quickly, but if you need to do this for disability related reasons, just let us know.

The University of Manchester Assessment Centre and the Outreach Centres are open Monday to Friday, from 9AM to 4PM, with assessments available within these times.

Do I have to pay for the assessment?


The fee is paid directly to us from your funding body.

UoM Assessment centre operates a fully inclusive assessment fee policy in accordance with DSA-QAG guidance. The assessment fee will be paid directly by your funding body and is taken from the General Allowance part of your DSAs. This means that any additional work required for the duration of your course will not incur any additional fee, unless agreed by your funding body.

• Additional work may include:

• Addressing any additional needs that you may tell us about.

• Any activities we undertake by way of reviewing your DSA support.

• Liaison with funding bodies, equipment suppliers and HEI’s, as required

What happens after my assessment?

Your Assessor will write a report summarising your needs and the recommended solutions within 10 working days of your assessment. We will send copies to you and your funding body, for their approval. A further copy is sent to your Disability Advisor at your University (but only if you give us permission).

The funding body will then write to you to tell you what support they've approved and how to get it.

What if something goes wrong?

We are proud of our high-quality services and facilities; if something goes wrong, we want to know about it. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our services and complaints are an important way for us to learn about problems and fix them. That’s why we have a formal Complaints Procedure in place.

We hope that you will never need to make a complaint, but if you do, we will do our best to deal with it quickly, fairly and without prejudice. We will keep you fully informed of our progress as we work to resolve things.