Funding for support

What are Disabled Students’ Allowances?

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are grants to help you pay for the extra essential costs that you may have as a direct result of your disability, including a mental-health condition, or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia. You don’t have to pay these back.

DSAs are not provided by the Disability Advisory and Support Service or the University, but we can help you with your application.

What do they pay for?

DSAs can help cover essential extra costs you might have during your course as a direct result of your disability, such as:

DSAs don’t pay for personal care.

DSAs don’t depend on household income – what you can get depends on your individual needs.

Am I eligible?

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) if you have a disability, such as:

  • a long-term health condition;

  • a mental health condition;

  • a specific learning difficulty like dyslexia or dyspraxia.

You must also:

  • be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including distance learning);

  • have a condition that affects your ability to study;

  • qualify for student finance from your funding body;

  • be studying on a course that lasts at least a year.

You can’t get DSAs from Student Finance England if you’re:

  • an EU student;
  • an Overseas/International student.

However the University is still committed to ensuring you receive the necessary support, so please book a Quick Query appointment or register with us to find out how we can help.

What about the DSA £200 contribution?

If you're unable to fund the £200 contribution towards your DSA equipment allowance you should apply to the Living Cost Support Fund for a financial assessment.

Full details of the Living Cost Support Fund, including an online application can be found at:

Please note that in applying to the Fund, your entire financial circumstances will be taken into account, and there is no guarantee that you will receive support towards the £200 DSA contribution.

Now apply for Disabled Students Allowances