Human support

University Support

No matter what you’re struggling with, we’re here to help. From the Counselling Service to the Students’ Union Advice Centre, there are so many places to get support at University if you need it, including that which comes from all of our support workers.

Disability Advisory and Support Service Support

The Disability and Advisory Support Service enables support for students. You will have a caseworker within the Disability Advisory and Support Service and can liaise with them throughout your course.

They are your first point of contact for any disability-related queries but they will not be delivering your support.

You will have an assessment of support, and this may include access to human support. To get the ball rolling, please register with us as soon as you possibly can as it can take some time to get support in place. If you’re applying to study here, register with us as soon as you’ve got an offer.

What support workers are there at University?

Please note that the support workers below are only provided if they are approved during your assessment process.

This is not an exhaustive list, but is there to give you an idea about the type of human support available.

Study coaching

If you have problems with organisation, motivation or general study skills, a study coach may be able to help.

They will work with you on a one to one basis, using tried and tested techniques and the latest assistive technology resources, to cover a broad range of academic skills. These can include academic writing, research strategies, revision skills, organisation and time management.

Some study coaches specialise in working with students with particular conditions such as dyslexia, mental health issues or autism spectrum disorder (Asperger’s syndrome) and you will be allocated a coach who has the required skills to meet your support needs.

Please note that this support cannot be subject specific.

Autism Spectrum Condition - Social Group

If you have been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC), or think you may be, you are very welcome to come along to this group that meets at 1PM on Tuesdays at the Disability Advisory and Support Service. (Please note that the group only runs during term time).

This group is facilitated by Norman Darwen, who worked for the National Autistic Society for many years, and has a lot of experience of working with students with ASC. This is an opportunity for you to meet others with ASC and share your experiences.


If you have difficulties with notetaking, a notetaker can attend your taught, timetabled sessions with you and make summary notes, which will then be made available to you at the end of each lecture in a handwritten format.

You do not have to sit with the notetaker if you prefer not to, though they will check you are in the session before making notes.


If you can’t access print then a reader can read to you from books or journals on your reading lists, or from any other material you have to use to complete your work.

Library assistance

A library assistant can help you to locate books, journals and other relevant reading material.

Practical Support Assistant

If you need assistance with practical tasks such as opening doors or carrying bags, a practical assistant may be made available for you.

They can also assist with mobility support tasks in educational situations and locations. A practical support assistant cannot carry out personal care tasks.


If you need text in a different format, we can help with this. The Library liaises with publishers and provides textbooks in alternative formats, and your School should be able to provide handouts in the format that you need.

Study Assistant

If you need support in adapting to new situations, a study assistant may be available. They can help you find your way round and get used to your new surroundings and routines over your first few weeks at University.

Please note study assistants will not engage with departments and support services on your behalf.

Mental health mentoring

Moodswings mental health mentors can offer you practical support with managing your course as well as your mental health. However, they don’t offer counselling.

Moodswings is an award winning Manchester-based charity founded in 1999 to help people recover from mood problems and the severe emotional distress they can cause.

Sign language interpreters

If you use British Sign Language (BSL), the Disability Advisory and Support Service can assist you in finding interpreters to use for your studies through local specialist organisations.

What if it doesn’t work out?

We understand that not every support worker is going to be right for every student. The agencies that we use will make every attempt to match you to a support worker who will meet your needs.

If, however, your support isn’t working for you, then please let us or the agency know so that they can see if there is someone who would be more appropriate for you.

If you feel like you would benefit from our Human Support services, please register with us.

Alternatively, if you have any questions that you want to ask us, or simply want to find out more, don’t hesitate to contact us.